Hand Quilting Basics
A Dark Star Fabrics Class
with Janice White
Saturday, February 23, 2019
1:00 – 4:00
CLASS IS COMPLETED
Find Out More Below
Learn the Basics of Hand Quilting
Here is an opportunity to sharpen your hand stitching skills. As you finish your hand quilting project under Janice White’s expert guidance, you will improve your understanding of:
- The process of stitching
- How to select the best needles and thread
- To hoop or not to hoop?
- How to baste your layers
- The use of stencils or free hand drawing
- How to mark your stitch line
- How to choose your marking tools
Beginners and Up. The class is designed for all quilters from beginners through experienced quilters.
Janice White, a life-long Phillips resident, has been quilting since the 1970’s. She is an accomplished hand stitcher and hand quilter who has created hundreds of quilts for her family and charity.
Janice is a founding member of the Narrow Gauge Quilt Group and the Mad Hatters Quilt Group, both based in Phillips. She is one of Dark Star Fabrics’ most popular instructors.
When and Where
The class will run from 1:00 until 4:00 on Saturday afternoon, February 23, 2019.
The class will take place in the classroom at Dark Star Fabrics in Phillips, Maine.
What to Bring
Come with your own fabric and supplies or shop our store*. You will need:
- A small finished top (not yet quilted) or a plain piece of fabric (light color, about 18″ x 18″)
- Batting and backing for your finished top or fabric
- Regular needle and thread or safety pins for basting
- Hand quilting thread and needle (size 10 or 12)
- A thimble (a must have!)
*Dark Star Fabrics will give you a 20% discount on any fabric and supplies you buy for the class.
The fee for this class is just $15. Please pay at the start of the class or earlier.